Monday, August 27, 2012

Columbus Antique Mall 08/26/2012

On Sunday I trekked up to Columbus, Wisconsin for an expedition to the Columbus Antique Mall with the Milwaukee Steampunk Society (and various folks from other  steam-ish contingents). Great place, huge and kind of overwhelming. It’s the largest antiques mall in Wisconsin.
I needed to bow out early because my allergies were driving me crazy (Dust and mold are my Kyrptonite) and I was exhausted (late night and up at 6 a.m. to make the drive), but I probably would have lasted much longer with the help of Claritin and sleep. I only have a few shots from this trip due to my early departure. I only managed to make it through 4 1/2 rooms on one floor, so there was SO much more that I missed. I really wish that I could have soldiered on, since I didn't even check out the 1893 Columbian Exhibition items in the museum.
Bring on the weird highlights!
 Awesome mechanical pachinko machine that was marked down to $50. It was obviously in need of a great deal of repair, but it would have made a great project for those so inclined.
 That’s a bit more…er…graphic…than usual.
 Sometimes, I see things that need to come live in my cube at the office…if only for the purpose of confusing my coworkers. This Elvis shrine is a prime example.
 Little Emily was a danger to herself and others, so precautions has to be made.
 This is downright creepy and would make for an excellent art component. Not at $55, though.
Now that I’m firmly skidding into middle age, I suppose that my days of carrying a lunchbox as a handbag are behind me, eh? Pity.
While NIU will not publicly admit to the existence of these creatures, each year several freshmen are devoured by the Maize Minions when they’ve wandered into the fields surrounding DeKalb during the blood harvest….
Ginger is uncomfortable with the political incorrectness of the vintage action figure.
Nifty quarantine sign. I wonder if this would stop people from standing on my patio to yell conversations up to my neighbors on their balcony?
I really should have picked this up.  It’s a promo shot of the Addams Family cast in a Halloween setting. Framed for $9.75
 This actually DID come home with us. My partner is a bit of a Sid and Marty Krofft fan...
 Last…and definitely the oddest...item of the day:  A cast iron advertising bank for a laxative product, depicting a large “mammy” character on a toilet. Seriously. I have no words.

1 comment:

  1. Sympathies over the allergies, I'm there with you, eyes giving me a terrible time. Oh and HAHAHA over the last picture. Perhaps it was politically incorrect at the time to show a white person on the toilet????? In that they were too lofty to need to go at all. Joan

    ReplyDelete